Re: The plan for FDW-based sharding

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The plan for FDW-based sharding
Date: 2016-03-05 03:54:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 27 February 2016 at 15:29, Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru
> wrote:

> Two reasons:
> 1. There is no ideal implementation of DTM which will fit all possible
> needs and be efficient for all clusters.
> 2. Even if such implementation exists, still the right way of it
> integration is Postgres should use kind of TM API.
> <http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers>

I've got to say that this is somewhat reminicient of the discussions around
in-core pooling, where argument 1 is applied to justify excluding pooling
from core/contrib.

I don't have a strong position on whether a DTM should be in core or not as
I haven't done enough work in the area. I do think it's interesting to
strongly require that a DTM be in core while we also reject things like
pooling that are needed by a large proportion of users.