Re: initdb issue on 64-bit Windows - (Was: [pgsql-packagers] PG 9.6beta2 tarballs are ready)

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Haroon <muhammad(dot)haroon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Umair Shahid <umair(dot)shahid(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: initdb issue on 64-bit Windows - (Was: [pgsql-packagers] PG 9.6beta2 tarballs are ready)
Date: 2016-06-25 02:16:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 24 June 2016 at 21:34, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> TBH, this looks more like a compiler bug than anything else.

I tend to agree. Especially since valgrind has no complaints on x64 linux,
and neither does DrMemory for 32-bit builds with the same toolchain on the
same Windows and same SDK.

I don't see any particular reason we can't proceed with 9.6beta2 and build
x64 Pg with MS VS 2015. There's no evidence turning up of a Pg bug here,
and compiling with a different toolchain gets us working binaries for the
target platform in question.

> It would be worth recompiling at -O0, or whatever the local equivalent
> of that is, to see if (1) the crash goes away or (2) the debugger's
> printouts get any more reliable

Yeah, it probably is. I'll see if I can find time this w/e.