Re: proposal: session server side variables

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: session server side variables
Date: 2016-12-30 10:03:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 30 December 2016 at 17:29, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> So .... lets take a step back or eight and ask "why?"

Oh, and speaking of, I see Pavel's approach as looking for a
PostgreSQL-adapted way to do something like Oracle's PL/SQL package
variables. Right Pavel?

If so, their properties are, as far as I as a non-Oracle-person can tell:

* Can be package-private or public. If public, can be both got and set
by anyone. If private, can be got and set directly only by code in
package. (Our equivalent is "by the owner"). As far as I can tell
outside access to package-private variables still uses the variable
get/set syntax, but is automatically proxied via getter/setter methods
defined in the package, if defined, otherwise inaccessible.

* Value not visible across sessions. Ever.

* Can have an initialiser / DEFAULT value.

* Non-persistent, value lost at session end.

A typical example, where package variables are init'd from a table:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/plsql/t_plsql_global_data.htm

which relies on package initializers, something we don't have (but can
work around easily enough with a little verbosity).

This shows both public vars and package-private ones.

See also https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14261/constantvar_declaration.htm

I believe these package variable properties are the properties Pavel
seeks to model/emulate. Declared statically, value persistent only
within the same session, non-transactional, can be private.

Certainly there's nothing here that requires us to allow GRANTs.
Simple ownership tests would supply us with similar functionality to
what Oracle users have, allowing for our lack of packages and
inability to hide the _existence_ of an object, only its contents.

My views:

I am personally overwhelmingly opposed to variables that automagically
create themselves when dereferenced, a-la Perl. Write $serialised
(english spelling) not $serialized (US spelling) and you get a silent
null. Fun! Hell. No. This is why failure to "use strict" in Perl is a
near-criminal offense.

I'd also strongly prefer to require vars to be declared before first
use. Again, like "use strict", and consistent with how Pg behaves
elsewhere. Otherwise we need some kind of magic syntax to say "this is
a variable", plus vars that get created on first assignment suck
almost as badly as ones that're null on undefined deference. Spend
half an hour debugging and figure out that you typo'd an assignment.
Again, "use strict".

I fail to see any real utility to cross-session vars, persistent or
otherwise, at this point. Use a normal or unlogged relation.

I don't see the point of untyped variables with no ownership or rights
controls. (ab)use a GUC. Note that you can achieve both xact-scoped
and session-scoped that way, with xact-scoped vars assigned using SET
LOCAL being unwound on xact end.

Unless we also propose to add ON CONNECT triggers, I think some kind
of persistency of declaration is useful but not critical. We'll land
up with apps sending preambles of declarations on session start
otherwise. But the most compelling use cases are for things where
there'll be a procedure invoked by the user or app on connect anyway,
so it can declare stuff there. I'm utterly unconvinced that it's
necessary to have them in the catalogs to achieve static checking.