Re: Substituting Checksum Algorithm (was: Enabling Checksums)

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Ants Aasma <ants(dot)aasma(at)eesti(dot)ee>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Substituting Checksum Algorithm (was: Enabling Checksums)
Date: 2013-04-26 19:57:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 7:09 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm expecting to spend some time on this over the weekend, once I've
> re-read the thread and patches to see if there is something to commit.
>
> That's my last time window, so this looks like the last chance to make
> changes before beta.

I updated the patch and split it into two parts (attached).

The first patch is the checksum algorithm itself. I have done
some documentation updates and moved it into the C file (rather
than the README), but further explanation of the "shift right 3"
modification will need to be by Ants or Florian.

The second patch adds the configure-time check for the right
compilation flags, and uses them when compiling checksum.c. I
called the new variable CFLAGS_EXTRA, for lack of a better idea,
so feel free to come up with a new name. It doesn't check for, or
use, -msse4.1, but that can be specified by the user by
configuring with CFLAGS_EXTRA="-msse4.1".

I don't know of any more required changes, aside from
documentation improvements.

Regards,
Jeff Davis

Attachment Content-Type Size
fnv-jeff-20130426.patch application/octet-stream 8.2 KB
fnv-jeff-20130426-cflags-extra.patch application/octet-stream 8.0 KB