Re: performance database for backup/restore

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeison Bedoya <jeisonb(at)audifarma(dot)com(dot)co>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: performance database for backup/restore
Date: 2013-05-21 16:11:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

2013/5/21 Jeison Bedoya <jeisonb(at)audifarma(dot)com(dot)co>

> Hi people, i have a database with 400GB running in a server with 128Gb
> RAM, and 32 cores, and storage over SAN with fiberchannel, the problem is
> when i go to do a backup whit pg_dumpall take a lot of 5 hours, next i do a
> restore and take a lot of 17 hours, that is a normal time for that process
> in that machine? or i can do something to optimize the process of
> backup/restore.

How many database objects do you have? A few large objects will dump and
restore faster than a huge number of smallish objects.

Where is your bottleneck? "top" should show you whether it is CPU or IO.

I can pg_dump about 6GB/minute to /dev/null using all defaults with a small
number of large objects.

Cheers,

Jeff