Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kam Lasater <ckl(at)seekayel(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date: 2015-10-02 17:53:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 7:48 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>

>> - Bug numbers are sometimes preserved in commit messages, but they
>> never make it into release notes. This actually seems like something
>> we could improve pretty easily and without a lot of extra work (and
>> also without a bug tracker). If every committer makes a practice of
>> putting the bug number into the commit message, and the people who
>> write the release notes then transcribe the information there, I bet
>> that would be pretty useful to a whole lotta people.
>>

> That would require people to actually use the bug form to submit the
> initial thread as well of course - which most developers don't do
> themselves today. But there is in itself nothing that prevents them from
> doing that, of course - other than a Small Amount Of Extra Work.

It is not always clear to me where I am supposed to report bugs. I
generally use -hackers if it is in code which is committed but not yet been
released, or if I've tracked it down to source code or a backtrace or
something like that, or if it is theoretical concern that I am not sure is
actually a bug.

Of course if I error on the side of sending it to -hackers when it should
be -bugs, someone could always forward it there, or tell me to do so.

It is also a bit awkward to send a patch on the bugs form, so if we want to
people to use the bugs form even when they are also submitting a patch to
fix the bug, we should explicitly state what it is we want them to. Two
separate submissions, one to -bugs, one to -hackers? An email to -bugs
(rather than using the form, which doesn't allow attachments) with an
attachment?

Cheers,

Jeff