Foreground vacuum and buffer access strategy

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Foreground vacuum and buffer access strategy
Date: 2012-05-25 20:06:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

If I invoke vacuum manually and do so with VacuumCostDelay == 0, I
have basically declared my intentions to get this pain over with as
fast as possible even if it might interfere with other processes.

Under that condition, shouldn't it use BAS_BULKWRITE rather than
BAS_VACUUM? The smaller ring size leads to a lot of synchronous WAL
flushes which I think can slow the vacuum down a lot.

Cheers,

Jeff