Re: pageinspect: Hash index support

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pageinspect: Hash index support
Date: 2016-09-26 20:16:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 12:19 AM, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com
> wrote:

> Note: the patch checks if a superuser is calling the new functions,
> which is a good thing.

If we only have the bytea functions and the user needs to supply the raw
pages themselves, rather than having the function go get the raw page for
you, is there any reason to restrict the interpretation function to super
users? I guess if we don't trust the C coded functions not to dereference
bogus data in harmful ways?

Cheers,

Jeff