Re: Problem creating index

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Torello Querci <tquerci(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)infinito(dot)it>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem creating index
Date: 2013-08-26 18:41:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Torello Querci <tquerci(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Ok,
>
> now create index is finished using maintenance_work_mem=100MB.
>
> Thanks to all.
>
> I suppose that an error message more clear can help.

Unfortunately, since no one knows what the real problem is, we can't
make the message more clear. Something that is never supposed to
happen has happened.

One thing you could do is set log_error_verbosity to verbose.

It seems like the most likely cause is flaky hardware, either memory
or hard-drive. In which case, your database is in serious danger of
irrecoverable corruption.

Is it reproducible that if you lower the maintenance_work_mem you get
the error again, and if you raise it the error does not occur?

Cheers,

Jeff