Re: creating extension including dependencies

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: creating extension including dependencies
Date: 2015-09-17 15:31:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 8:44 PM, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 2015-09-08 04:06, Michael Paquier wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 10:44 AM, Michael Paquier
>> <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>

>>> Attached are as well changes for the documentation that I spotted in
>>> earlier reviews but were not included in the last version sent by Petr
>>> yesterday. Feel free to discard them if you think they are not
>>> adapted, the patch attached applies on top of Petr's patch.
>>>

>> And /log/ is missing in src/test/modules/extensions/.gitignore.
>>

> Ah sorry, I based it on my branch which didn't contain your changes.
> Merged.

If I fail to specify CASCADE and get an ERROR, I think there should be a
HINT which suggests the use of CASCADE.

create extension earthdistance ;
ERROR: required extension "cube" is not installed

(no hint)

There is a HINT on the reverse operation:
drop extension cube;
ERROR: cannot drop extension cube because other objects depend on it
DETAIL: extension earthdistance depends on extension cube
HINT: Use DROP ... CASCADE to drop the dependent objects too.

Also, It would be nice to have psql tab complete the word CASCADE.

Cheers,

Jeff