Guide to Posting Slow Query Questions

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Guide to Posting Slow Query Questions
Date: 2012-09-12 16:00:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

Regarding the wiki page on reporting slow queries:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Slow_Query_Questions

We currently recommend EXPLAIN ANALYZE over just EXPLAIN. Should we
recommend EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, BUFFERS) instead? I know I very often
wish I could see that data. I don't think turning buffer accounting
on adds much cost over a mere ANALYZE.

Also, an additional thing that would be nice for people to report is
whether long running queries are CPU bound or IO bound. Should we add
that recommendation with links to how to do that in a couple OS, say,
Linux and Windows. If so, does anyone know of good links that explain
it for those OS?

Cheers,

Jeff