Re: Consecutive Query Executions with Increasing Execution Time

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Shijia Wei <shijiawei(at)utexas(dot)edu>, Pgsql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Consecutive Query Executions with Increasing Execution Time
Date: 2019-12-17 16:11:12
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 8:08 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
wrote:

> > Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> writes:
> > > Why do the first and the twentieth executions of the query have almost
> > > identical "buffers shared/read" numbers? That seems odd.
> >
> > It's repeat execution of the same query, so that doesn't seem odd to me.
>
> Really? Shouldn't the blocks be in shared buffers after a couple
> of executions?

If it is doing a seq scan (I don't know if it is) they intentionally use a
small ring buffer to, so they evict their own recently used blocks, rather
than evicting other people's blocks. So these blocks won't build up in
shared_buffers very rapidly just on the basis of repeated seq scans.

Cheers,

Jeff