Streaming Replication and Firewall

From: Ian Harding <harding(dot)ian(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: General PostgreSQL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Streaming Replication and Firewall
Date: 2011-09-29 16:35:29
Lists: pgsql-general

I updated the firewall rules on a streaming replication standby server
and thought nothing of it. I later happened to notice on the primary
that ps aux | grep stream didn't show streaming to that server
anymore. On the standby that command still showed the wal receiver
patiently waiting for new data.

I know I broke it, but would anything have eventually happened, or
would the wal receiver keep patiently waiting as the world passed it
by?

I simply restarted the standby cluster and all is well.

Thanks!

- Ian