Re: [HACKERS] GSoC on WAL-logging hash indexes

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: "ktm(at)rice(dot)edu" <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tan Tran <tankimtran(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] GSoC on WAL-logging hash indexes
Date: 2014-04-30 16:54:36
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-students

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 5:55 AM, ktm(at)rice(dot)edu <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu> wrote:
> I do not think that CPU costs matter as much as the O(1) probe to
> get a result value specifically for very large indexes/tables where
> even caching the upper levels of a B-tree index would kill your
> working set in memory. I know, I know, everyone has so much memory
> and can just buy more... but this does matter.

Have you actually investigated how little memory it takes to store the
inner pages? It's typically less than 1% of the entire index. AFAIK,
hash indexes are not used much in any other system. I think MySQL has
them, and SQL Server 2014 has special in-memory hash table indexes for
in memory tables, but that's all I can find on Google.

--
Peter Geoghegan