Result sets from functions

From: Liam Caffrey <liam(dot)caffrey(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Result sets from functions
Date: 2012-04-16 07:24:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

There is a feature that I have used in SQL Server which I find really
useful for debugging (without using a debugger!!).
It is this.... I can write multiple "select * from some_table" statements
throughout my stored procedure (here read "pgsql function") and the
individual result sets get "returned" to the results pane. This is usually
to look into the contents of temp tables or intermediate stages. This is
especially useful when debugging triggers.

I cannot find something similar yet in Postgres. The "return query select *
from some_table" doesn't do it for me but I have to fiddle with the RETURN
value of the function definition which I don't want to do.

Does anything like this exist? Could anybody recommend an equally effective
strategy?

Regards

Liam Caffrey

PS: Posted earlier to plsql-hackers which I think was the wrong place.
Sorry. Still looking for feedback. Tnx.