Re: Remaining beta blockers

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remaining beta blockers
Date: 2013-05-03 15:11:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 1:12 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> I was more thinking of the idea of having some status on the first page
> that might need to change in a future release.

Incidentally, another option might be to have a <relfilenode>.meta
fork that has information like this. It doesn't fundamentally change
anything but it does mean that code that doesn't need to know about it
doesn't need to know to skip the first page. It also means we could
maybe expand it more easily. There have been previous wishlist items
to have some meta information so external tools can more easily parse
the data without needing access to the full catalog for example.

--
greg