Re: Column mis-spelling hints vs case folding

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Column mis-spelling hints vs case folding
Date: 2015-04-07 14:04:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 7 Apr 2015 09:37, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > A newbie error that we see *constantly* is misunderstanding identifier
> > case-folding rules.

> > I think this hint might be a lot more useful if its comparison mechanism
> > were case-insensitive.
>
> If you want to make that change, I will not object.

If you just make out case insensitive that would be an improvement. Nobody
sane has similar columns that differ only in case.

But if the original token was not quoted and the suggested token requires
quoting IWBNI the hint directly addressed that source of confusion.

But if that gets fiddly, trying to squeeze too much in one hint then better
the generic hint then nothing at all. I don't want to kill a good simple
change with bike shedding here