Re: New hook after raw parsing, before analyze

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: David Beck <dbeck(at)starschema(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New hook after raw parsing, before analyze
Date: 2014-02-14 23:46:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 9:16 PM, David Beck <dbeck(at)starschema(dot)net> wrote:
> Another point I liked in mysql is the possibility to write info schema plugins: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/writing-information-schema-plugins.html
> Like a virtual catalog. Is there anything similar in Postgres?

The documentation you linked to describes how to provide
information_schema plugins but not why you would want to do such a
thing. I'm not seeing why this would be useful. The information_schema
schema is described by the standard so creating new views in it isn't
needed very often and the schema for the existing views doesn't change
very often. I can see why a plugin might want to add rows to the views
but that doesn't seem to be what this feature is about.

--
greg