Re: Ctrl+C from sh can shut down daemonized PostgreSQL cluster

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Ctrl+C from sh can shut down daemonized PostgreSQL cluster
Date: 2014-02-15 01:25:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 14 Feb 2014 23:07, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> If this is, as it sounds to be, a Solaris shell bug, doesn't it
> affect other daemons too?

This is simmering i never exactly followed but i think if the shell doesn't
support job control it's expected behaviour, not a bug. Only shells that
support job control create new process groups for every backgrounded
command.

I would have expected if I run postgres myself that it be attached to the
terminal and die when I C-c it but if it's started by pg_ctl I would have
thought it was running independently of my terminal and shell.