Re: 9.4 regression

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.4 regression
Date: 2013-08-07 22:40:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Did you report information about the system affected? What filesystem is it
on? If it's ext4 does it have extents enabled?

I think on ext3 or ext4 without extents it won't have any benefit but it
shouldn't really be any slower either since the libc implementation is very
similar to what we used to do.

I wouldn't expect the benefit from it to have a huge effect either. The
main benefit is actually the reduced fragmentation so it would be pretty
dependent on the filesystem it's on anyways. Avoiding stalls when creating
new wal files is also nice but shouldn't happen often enough n your
benchmarks to cause an effect on the average numbers.