Re: Re: 9.2.4: Strange behavior when wildcard is on left side of search string

From: ERR ORR <rd0002(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Cc: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: 9.2.4: Strange behavior when wildcard is on left side of search string
Date: 2013-04-07 14:45:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 7 April 2013 15:52, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com> wrote:

> David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > varchar(100)
>
> > The other option to index words via the full-text search capabilities.
>
> Or for columns this short, a similarity search on a trigram index.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/pgtrgm.html
>

> Or for columns this short, a similarity search on a trigram index.

I had actually thought of that as the next thing to try out [?]

My understanding from your replies is that this behavior with *b-tree
indices* is not considered a bug but rather a case of "works as designed",
yet still and apart from the solution of my particular problem, the fact
that in 9.2.4 it is so bad that a simple query sometimes does not finish
after 10+ minutes with incessant disk activity tends to look like a problem
to me.

Thank you very much, gentlemen for your consideration.

RD