Re: Merge pgjdbc-parent-poms project into pgjdbc please

From: Álvaro Hernández <aht(at)8kdata(dot)com>
To: Pavel Raiskup <praiskup(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: List <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Merge pgjdbc-parent-poms project into pgjdbc please
Date: 2016-01-24 16:14:27
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi Pavel.

I understand your concerns. But I believe this problem is easier to solve :)

Think of the parent pom as a (parent) Makefile. It is not source code per
se, but it is required for the build. It is easy to build, as it has *no*
dependencies (while it declares dependencies, it's just a declaration for
inheriting projects, not a requirement for this one). So it can be built on
its own, in offline mode.

I don't know how the build process exactly works, but as soon as you can
get the source pom and run a "mvn install", that should be enough to later
on build the jdbc-driver. Indeed, it should be a good starting point for
packaging the driver (getting the RPM build process to work well with
maven).

On a side note, while I understand the value of parent poms and this one in
particular, I don't think that there should be any <dependencyManagement>
declared there. Parent poms are usually quite "general", and either:

- expecting most or all of the inheriting projects to use a dependency,
- or assuming what version of the dependency they are going to use

is IMO too restrictive. Sure, it's not a <dependency>, so no big
limitations, but I just think it does not belong here:

- What if, for instance, the jre6 version wants to use a different version
of a given dependency? (is not uncommon to see dependencies having
different versions for Java <=6 and Java > 6)
- What does it mean for pgjdbc/ubenchmark project to "know" about waffle or
osgi dependencies? I think dependencies in parent pom should only be those
*expected* to be used by all projects, directly, and make sure that the
version used is the same.

Opinions?

Álvaro