support for user-defined types

From: Chris Maloney <chris(at)elasticintelligence(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: support for user-defined types
Date: 2011-12-05 16:45:27
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Our current project needs to create tables that contain arrays of user
defined types - and insert into this tables and query data from these
tables. We need to create this tables based on user actions that define
the structure of these tables.

We have learned that the PostgresSQL JDBC driver does not support columns
that are arrays of user defined types in the JDBC standard model using the
STRUCT feature. From reading the pgsql-jdbc forum, it appears that support
for user define types on the driver is a well-known limitation.

Would anyone be interested in doing a project to improve the PostgreSQL
JDBC driver's support for user-defined types and arrays of user-defined
types? Could you give us description of the scope, an estimate for
the time-frame and cost of such a project? We are considering sponsoring
this project for the community.

thanks,
Chris Maloney