Re: How to retrieve rows with empty value in numeric(12,8) columns

From: Bèrto ëd Sèra <berto(dot)d(dot)sera(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: rod(at)iol(dot)ie
Cc: Adarsh Sharma <adarsh(dot)sharma(at)orkash(dot)com>, pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to retrieve rows with empty value in numeric(12,8) columns
Date: 2011-12-06 11:20:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

> As I understand it, your first query returned nothing because NULL is
> simply "unknown" - and since you can never know what it's equal to,
> looking for equality with NULL will never find anything.

Yes, you can basically think of NULLs in SQL as having the same role of
zeros in division. They make no sense in principle and must be treated
apart. I seem to recall Oracle treating empty strings as NULLs, but this is
very dangerous. A NULL means nothing has been assigned, i.e. data is not
stated in any way, while an empty string IS an assignment. There is a
difference between "nothing" and "this" (no matter what "this" is).

Bèrto