Re: PostgreSQL with ZFS on Linux

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sébastien Lorion <sl(at)thestrangefactory(dot)com>
Cc: Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL with ZFS on Linux
Date: 2014-01-17 07:29:37
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:14 PM, Sébastien Lorion <sl(at)thestrangefactory(dot)com
> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> > If you really want ZFS, I would highly recommend looking into
>> > FreeBSD (Postgresql works great on it) or if you want to stick with
>> Linux,
>> > look into mdadm with LVM or some other filesystem solution.
>>
>> If you want to use ZFS because of its features, take a look at btrfs.
>> It provides a lot of the stuff supported by ZFS with usually better
>> performance on linux - and since the last few kernel revisions it is
>> finally in a state where I would dare to use it in production.
>>
>> If you need highest performance, don't use a copy-on-write filesystem
>> like ZFS or btrfs, stick to ext4 or XFS ;)
>>
>> Regards, Clemens
>>

>> --
>>

> Do you have any personal experience with BTRFS for a couple of weeks in
> production or any official statement/case study ? On the FAQ, it says it is
> still experimental (https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/FAQ), though
> it may just be outdated. There is also these two links that would make me
> very cautious (as I am with ZFS on Linux, mind you):
>
> http://www.anchor.com.au/blog/2013/04/the-btrfs-backup-experiment/
> http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1221177
>
> We're looking at it for LedgerSMB hosting (with PostgreSQL, we are
currently using XFS). So far we are liking what we are seeing. We
wouldn't be using it for PostgreSQL backups, but the general sense is that
the developers are very, very conservative about making guarantees of
stability and so far we haven't seen any indication that "experimental"
means anything other than "developers nervous about calling it stable."

This being said, we aren't very far into our evaluation yet and our view
could change.

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito: Hosted Accounting and ERP. Robust and Flexible. No vendor
lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more.shtml