Re: IDLE in transaction introspection

From: Scott Mead <scottm(at)openscg(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IDLE in transaction introspection
Date: 2011-10-31 23:18:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
> wrote:
> > Actually, for the future, it might be useful to have a "state" column,
> > that holds the idle/in transaction/running status, instead of the
> > tools having to parse the query text to get that information...
>
> +1 for doing it this way. Splitting "current_query" into "query" and
> "state" would be more elegant and easier to use all around.

I'm all for splitting it out actually. My concern was that I would break
the 'ba-gillion' monitoring tools that already have support for
pg_stat_activity if I dropped a column. What if we had:

'state' : idle | in transaction | running ( per Robert )
'current_query' : the most recent query (either last / currently
running)

That may be a bit tougher to get across to people though (especially in
the case where state='<IDLE>').

I'll rework this when I don't have trick-or-treaters coming to the front
door :)

--
Scott Mead
OpenSCG http://www.openscg.com