Re: Raspberry PI vs Raspberry PI 2: time to compile backend code

From: Adam Brightwell <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Raspberry PI vs Raspberry PI 2: time to compile backend code
Date: 2015-02-24 03:01:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael,

> This is a purely informational email...
> I have put my hands on a Raspberry PI 2, and I have found that it takes 6
> minutes to compile the backend code using the 4 cores of the ARMv7
> processor, and close to 20 minutes on a single core (without ccache). The
> test has been done using ArchLinux ARM with a micro SD card of class 10
> (said to be able to manage 50MB/s in write, 60MB/s in read).
> In comparison, the buildfarm machine hamster, which is a Rasp PI 1, takes
> close to 2 hours to do the same operation, using the same OS and a similar
> class 10 card (30MB/s but the I/O is not the bottleneck).

Thanks for sharing this info. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on
an rpi2 soon for some of my other projects. Having an idea of the
increased performance, especially related to compilation, was certainly
something I was curious about.

-Adam

--
Adam Brightwell - adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com
Database Engineer - www.crunchydatasolutions.com