Re: 9.5 new features

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.5 new features
Date: 2016-01-23 03:13:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On 23 January 2016 at 09:49, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> wrote:
> one of my coworkers says he thought that 9.5 has some enhancements in
> partitioning, but looking at the release notes I don't see anything specific
> ? do BRIN's play into partitioned tables ?
>
> in our case, we partition very large 'event' tables by week with 6 month
> retention....

BRIN can be seen as a form of "automatic partitioning", and I have
seen it described as such in documents relating to the BRIN project,
so perhaps that description has made its way further afield and that's
maybe what your coworker heard about.

If you view the inheritance partitioning feature as a method of
eliminating scans of partitions which can be proved unneeded at
planning time, then BRIN can eliminate blocks from a scan of a single
relation (or rather "pages_per_range") during execution time. So I
agree with the "automatic partitioning" description.