Re: earthdistance

From: Olivier Chaussavoine <olivier(dot)chaussavoine(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Uwe Schroeder <uwe(at)oss4u(dot)com>
Subject: Re: earthdistance
Date: 2013-08-10 10:18:48
Lists: pgsql-general

I did not found any geographic indexing with earthdistance, and need it.

The need I have is simple:
"is the distance between two (lat,long) positions less than X km?"
the model used for the shape of the earth should be related to the
precision of lat,lon, and most sources are imprecise. The spherical model
should be enough.

How wrong I am to think that:
* postgres contains a circle object where distance is the hypothenuse. The
spherical problem using lat,long is also bidimensional. We could /just use
haversine distance instead of hypothenuse.
* gist and b-tree bidimensional indexing does not need to be changed to
fulfill this need.

--
Olivier Chaussavoine