Re: Columnar store as default for PostgreSQL 10?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bráulio Bhavamitra <brauliobo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Columnar store as default for PostgreSQL 10?
Date: 2016-04-21 16:08:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 3:08 AM, Bráulio Bhavamitra <brauliobo(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm finally having performance issues with PostgreSQL when doing big
> analytics queries over almost the entire database of more than 100gb of
> data.
>
> And what I keep reading all over the web is many databases switching to
> columnar store (RedShift, Cassandra, cstore_fdw, etc) and having great
> performance on queries in general and giant boosts with big analytics
> queries.
>
> I wonder if there is any plans to move postgresql entirely to a columnar
> store (or at least make it an option), maybe for version 10?
>
> The current extensions are rather limited (types support for example) and
> require quite some configuration and data migration to work, besides they
> don't work in services like AWS RDS.

​I have little experience (and nothing practical) with columnar store but
at a high level I don't see the point. I would hope that anyone interested
in working on a columnar store database would pick an existing one to
improve rather than converting a very successful row store database into
one. And I don't immediately understand how a dual setup would even be
viable - it seems like you'd have to re-write so much
​of the code the only thing left would be the SQL parser.

​David J.