Re: New version numbering practices

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: New version numbering practices
Date: 2016-08-03 17:11:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > I thought we'd pretty much done that cleanup during the cvs->git
> > conversion?
>
> I guess I'm talking about tags. I'm not clear on the distinction
> between tags and branches names in git.

​Ignoring git for a moment our setup is that each major version (9.6) gets
a branch when it is finally released. For each minor release the last
commit on each branch that is included in the release is tagged with both
the branch/major-version AND the patch/minor-version.

I'm sure the internet can provide a better overview of the differences,
within git, between tags and branches. One way to look at it, though is
that tags are
explicit labels pointing to commits
​ whereas b
ranches are
​ implicit​ labels.

When you do: git checkout branch you are asking for whatever HEAD - for
that branch - points to. Committing to a branch causes a new commit to be
created and then HEAD - for that branch - to be moved. So you are, by
default, dealing with the implicit HEAD label within the branch "namespace".

David J.