Re: Conflict between REL9_4_STABLE and master branch.

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Uriy Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Conflict between REL9_4_STABLE and master branch.
Date: 2015-06-26 16:16:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Uriy Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru
> wrote:

> Hello hackers.
>
> I found a strange thing. I hope it's not on purpose.
>
> Example:
> git clone git://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git
> cd postgresql
> git checkout -b remotes/origin/REL9_4_STABLE
> git merge master
> MANY CONFLICTS

​It is intentional: t
he release branches operate exclusively in parallel to master and each
other.​ While any two share a common ancestor they are never intended to
be joined again in the future. cherry-picking w/ tweaks is used to apply
fixes made against master to the back-branches, if applicable. Not being
an actual code -hacker on this project I am lacking on specifics and maybe
over-simplifying.

Think of this as a "multi-master" repository.

David J.