Re: Weird return-value from pg_get_function_identity_arguments() on certain aggregate functions?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "P O'Toole" <P(dot)OToole(at)uwyo(dot)edu>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Weird return-value from pg_get_function_identity_arguments() on certain aggregate functions?
Date: 2018-03-12 22:00:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 2:47 PM, David G. Johnston <
david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 2:19 PM, P O'Toole <P(dot)OToole(at)uwyo(dot)edu> wrote:
>

>> According to the System Information Functions docs,
>> pg_get_function_identity_arguments(OID) should simply "get argument list
>> to identify a function (without default values)", but one example of how it
>> behaves strangely is that:
>>

>> SELECT pg_get_function_identity_arguments('pg_catalog.percentile_disc(DOUBLE
>> PRECISION[], ANYELEMENT)'::REGPROCEDURE)
>>

> ​FWIW a simple \dfS percentile* will elicit the same description.
>
> I suppose it depends on what you are using the output for - the
> (percentile*) functions that are decorated with ORDER BY are exclusively
> aggregate, as opposed to standard, functions.

In this case I'd say the supposed bug is that GRANT ON FUNCTION doesn't
accept the signature of a valid CREATE AGGREGATE​ even though our existing
implementation uses it as an implementation mechanism for both (i.e., we
don't have a separate GRANT ON AGGREGATE).

David J.