Re: POLA violation with \c service=

From: David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: POLA violation with \c service=
Date: 2014-12-20 02:03:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 8:25 AM, David Fetter [via PostgreSQL] <
ml-node+s1045698n5831124h68(at)n5(dot)nabble(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 08:14:04AM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> > >It would be handy, if \c "service=foo" actually worked. We should do
> #3.
> > >If the database name is actually a connection string, or a service
> > >specification, it should not re-use the hostname and port from previous
> > >connection, but use the values from the connection string or service
> file.
> >

> > Yeah, that's the correct solution. It should not be terribly difficult
> > create a test for a conninfo string in the dbname parameter. That's what
> > libpq does after all. We certainly don't want psql to have to try to
> > interpret the service file. psql just needs to let libpq do its work in
> this
> > situation.
>
> letting libpq handle this is the only sane plan for fixing it. I'm
> looking into that today.

​On a tangentially related note; it is not outside the realm of possibility
that a user would want one pg_service entry​

​to reference another one​:

[realentry]
user=
dbname=

[aliasentry]
service=realentry

furthermore, having a shareable entry like:

[main-host]
host=ip-address
port=5433

[main-user1]
user=user1
service=main-host

[main-user2]
​user=user2
service=main-host

also seems potentially useful.

I just sent a -doc report that nothing in the documentation says this
behavior is not implemented but a cursory attempt at it confirms the lack.

While you are digging in there anything fundamental prohibiting the
behavior and is it something you ​think would be useful in these complex
environments you are working with?

David J.

Sorry about the oddball CC: but I don't have an e-mail with a full set of
recipients...