Re: Adding since-version tags to the docs?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding since-version tags to the docs?
Date: 2015-08-31 14:49:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 10:39 AM, Shulgin, Oleksandr <
oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>

>> It'll be a real
>> mess if we do that for everything.
>>

> I share the fear that it could become messy, but it doesn't necessary
> *have to* be a mess.

​The extensions and SQL command sections are quite amenable to this kind of
note - and also have the lesser need since those pages are already
standalone and you can browse the versions at the top to figure out when
the page was added. The function tables and, to a lesser extent, types are
likely to find the greater benefit to this but are also most likely to have
information overload.

I would be content with a policy that only version tags corresponding to
active releases be included and that tags pointing to older releases be
removed. If we are consistent with the corresponding tagging and wording
the removal aspect can be fully automated.

I have interest in this but not enough to cobble together a patch
containing a sufficient number of examples that the community can review
and vote upon.

David J.