Re: BUG #15606: Postgres incorrectly returns syntax error when using WITH clacuse

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: newsx(at)outlook(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15606: Postgres incorrectly returns syntax error when using WITH clacuse
Date: 2019-01-23 14:45:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 7:40 AM PG Bug reporting form
<noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Bug reference: 15606
> Logged by: Rikke Hammer
> Email address: newsx(at)outlook(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 11.1
> Operating system: Windows 10 Home version1803 x64
>
> I get a syntax error when I try to use a WITH clause in a query. Below is a
> simple test query. It (as as well as any other WITH clause query I do,
> creates the following error:
>
> SQL Error [42601]: ERROR: syntax error at end of input
> Position: 53
[...]
> WITH emp AS (
> select * from rikke_hammer.employees)

If you actually just want to execute the query you are putting into
the WITH what is the point of wrapping it with "WITH"?

This is not a bug. As the error message indicates the parser is
expecting you to write more sql stuff. In this case a SELECT
statement that actually uses the emp CTE

[ WITH [ RECURSIVE ] with_query [, ...] ]
SELECT [ ALL | DISTINCT [ ON ( expression [, ...] ) ] ]

David J.