Re: Multi-tenancy with RLS

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multi-tenancy with RLS
Date: 2015-09-15 00:38:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 7:50 AM, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> wrote:
> On 09/01/2015 11:25 PM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
>> If any user is granted any permissions on that object then that user
>> can view it's meta data of that object from the catalog tables.
>> To check the permissions of the user on the object, instead of
>> checking each and every available option, I just added a new
>> privilege check option called "any". If user have any permissions on
>> the object, the corresponding permission check function returns
>> true. Patch attached for the same.
>>
>> Any thoughts/comments?
>
> Thanks for working on this! Overall I like the concept and know of use
> cases where it is critical and should be supported. Some comments:

Thanks for the review, I will take care of the comments in the next patch.

I didn't find any better approach other than creating policies automatically
or providing permission to superuser on system catalog tables. If everyone
feels as this is the best approach, then i will create policies for all catalog
tables in the next version.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia