Re: WIP: Data at rest encryption

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ants Aasma <ants(dot)aasma(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Data at rest encryption
Date: 2016-06-14 02:20:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 5:13 PM, Ants Aasma <ants(dot)aasma(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 5:23 AM, Haribabu Kommi
> <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> 2. Instead of depending on a contrib module for the encryption, how
>> about integrating pgcrypto contrib in to the core and add that as a
>> default encryption method. And also provide an option to the user
>> to use a different encryption methods if needs.
>
> Technically that would be simple enough, this is more of a policy
> decision. I think having builtin encryption provided by pgcrypto is
> completely fine. If a consensus emerges that it needs to be
> integrated, it would need to be a separate patch anyway.

In our proprietary database, we are using the encryption methods
provided by openSSL [1]. May be we can have a look at those
methods provided by openSSL for the use of encryption for builds
under USE_SSL. Ignore it if you have already validated.

>> 5. Instead of providing passphrase through environmental variable,
>> better to provide some options to pg_ctl etc.
>
> That looks like it would be worse from a security perspective.
> Integrating a passphrase prompt would be an option, but a way for
> scripts to provide passphrases would still be needed.

What I felt was, if we store the passphrase in an environmental variable,
a person who is having an access to the system can get the details
and using that it may be possible to decrypt the data files.

[1] - https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/crypto/EVP_EncryptInit.html

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia