Re: pg_hba_file_settings view patch

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_hba_file_settings view patch
Date: 2017-01-30 02:20:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> I wrote:
> > I spent awhile hacking on this, and made a lot of things better, but
> > I'm still very unhappy about the state of the comments.
>
> I made another pass over this, working on the comments and the docs,
> and changing the view name to "pg_hba_file_rules". I think this version
> is committable if people are satisfied with that name.

Thanks for working on the patch. I am fine with the "pg_hba_file_rules"
name. I have to improve in writing better comments after checking the
attached patch. I will improve the comments in further patch submissions
to community.

> One loose end is what to do about testing. I did not much like the
> proposed TAP tests. We could just put "select count(*) > 0 from
> pg_hba_file_rules" into the main regression tests, which would provide
> some code coverage there, if not very much guarantee that what the view
> outputs is sane.

I added the test in main regression test to the patch which you shared based
on the mail of creating separate tests for system views in [1]. The
attached
needs to be applied on top the patch shared in [1].

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/19359.1485723741%40sss.pgh.pa.us

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_hba_rules_16.patch application/octet-stream 58.9 KB