Re: pg_hba_file_settings view patch

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_hba_file_settings view patch
Date: 2017-01-30 06:18:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 11:20 AM, Haribabu Kommi
<kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> tgl wrote:
>> > I spent awhile hacking on this, and made a lot of things better, but
>> > I'm still very unhappy about the state of the comments.
>>
>> I made another pass over this, working on the comments and the docs,
>> and changing the view name to "pg_hba_file_rules". I think this version
>> is committable if people are satisfied with that name.

(catching up with this thread as a lot has happened.)

> Thanks for working on the patch. I am fine with the "pg_hba_file_rules"
> name. I have to improve in writing better comments after checking the
> attached patch. I will improve the comments in further patch submissions
> to community.

No objections here.

+/*
+ * The following character array represents the names of the authentication
+ * methods that are supported by PostgreSQL.
+ *
+ * Note: keep this in sync with the UserAuth enum in hba.h.
+ */
+static const char *const UserAuthName[] =
+{
+ "reject",
+ "implicit reject", /* Not a user-visible option */
+ "trust",
+ "ident",
+ "password",
+ "md5",
+ "gss",
+ "sspi",
+ "pam",
+ "bsd",
+ "ldap",
+ "cert",
+ "radius",
+ "peer"
+};
Perhaps this could use a StaticAssertStmt()? Say something like that:
#define USER_AUTH_LAST uaPeer
StaticAssertStmt(lengthof(UserAuthName) == USER_AUTH_LAST + 1,
"UserAuthName must include all user authentication names");

Any updates could easily be forgotten.
--
Michael