Re: Bug in visibility map WAL-logging

From: Matheus de Oliveira <matioli(dot)matheus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Bug in visibility map WAL-logging
Date: 2014-01-08 12:32:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 10:42 PM, Matheus de Oliveira <
matioli(dot)matheus(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> How did you set up the standby? Did you initialize it from an offline
>> backup of the master's data directory, perhaps? The log shows that the
>> startup took the the "crash recovery first, then start archive recovery"
>> path, because there was no backup label file. In that mode, the standby
>> assumes that the system is consistent after replaying all the WAL in
>> pg_xlog, which is correct if you initialize from an offline backup or
>> atomic filesystem snapshot, for example. But "WAL contains references to
>> invalid pages" could also be a symptom of an inconsistent base backup,
>> cause by incorrect backup procedure. In particular, I have to ask because
>> I've seen it before: you didn't delete backup_label from the backup, did
>> you?
>>

> Well, I cannot answer this right now, but makes all sense and is possible.

I've just confirmed. That was indeed the case, the script was removing the
backup_label. I've just removed this line and synced it again, it is
running nice (for past 1 hour at least).

Thank you guys for all your help, and sorry for all the confusion I caused.

Best regards,
--
Matheus de Oliveira
Analista de Banco de Dados