Re: Databases optimization

From: J Sisson <sisson(dot)j(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Maciek Sakrejda <msakrejda(at)truviso(dot)com>
Cc: Hany ABOU-GHOURY <hghoury(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Databases optimization
Date: 2011-09-12 02:46:57
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Maciek Sakrejda <msakrejda(at)truviso(dot)com>wrote:

> performance guidelines, I recommend Greg Smith's "PostgreSQL 9.0 High
> Performance" [1] (disclaimer: I used to work with Greg and got a free
> copy)
>
> I'll second that. "PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance" is an excellent
resource
(I recommend it even for non-PostgreSQL admins because it goes so in-depth
on Linux tuning) so whether you get it for free or not, it's worth the time
it takes
to read and absorb the info.

I've never run PostgreSQL virtualized, but I can say that if it's anything
like
running SQL Server virtualized, it's not a terribly good idea.