Re: Wanted: ALTER TRIGGER ... OWNED BY EXTENSION

From: Moshe Jacobson <moshe(at)neadwerx(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Wanted: ALTER TRIGGER ... OWNED BY EXTENSION
Date: 2014-03-31 22:23:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 5:19 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Basically what you need to end up with is
>
> * trigger function has a membership dependency on the extension

Yes, the dependency is set up when the trigger function is dynamically
created by using ALTER EXTENSION ... ADD FUNCTION

* pg_trigger row has a normal dependency on the trigger function it uses

Aha, this is not present. I think it is due to some migration magic I did a
while ago.
Is there a way to clean up the dependencies, or at least list out the
dependencies that seem suspicious?

* pg_trigger row has an auto dependency on the table it's for

This is present.

Note: depending on what it is you're trying to accomplish, it might be
> saner for the pg_trigger rows to have auto dependencies on their trigger
> functions. Depends whether you'd like DROP EXTENSION to complain or just
> shut up and drop the triggers.

I would love for DROP EXTENSION to shut up and drop the triggers, but I'm
not sure how to accomplish that without manually manipulating pg_depend
(and even then I'm not sure if that'll do it). Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Moshe Jacobson
Manager of Systems Engineering, Nead Werx Inc. <http://www.neadwerx.com>
2323 Cumberland Parkway · Suite 201 · Atlanta, GA 30339

"Quality is not an act, it is a habit." -- Aristotle