Re: Recovery target 'immediate'

From: Sergey Burladyan <eshkinkot(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Recovery target 'immediate'
Date: 2013-04-22 00:10:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <
hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:

> I just found out that if you use continuous archiving and online backups,
> it's surprisingly difficult to restore a backup, without replaying any more
> WAL than necessary.

You can find first WAL file name in backup_label "START WAL LOCATION". Last
WAL file name location depends on source type, if backup from slave - use
pg_control from backup and "Minimum recovery ending location", if backup
from master - use "STOP WAL LOCATION" from backup .history file :-) Then I
just copy needed WALs from archive into pg_xlog and remove recovery.conf.

It seems that we're missing a setting, something like recovery_target =
> 'immediate', which would mean "stop as soon as consistency is reached". Or
> am I missing some trick?

This will be helpful :)

--
Sergey Burladyan