Re: (SOLVED)How To Install Extension Via Script File?

From: Don Parris <parrisdc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: (SOLVED)How To Install Extension Via Script File?
Date: 2013-08-13 00:49:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > As for whether UTF-8 is the default, it is in many cases, but I remember
> > struggling with the fact that a few Linux distros still default to
> > SQL-ASCII. Ultimately this is something of a packaging issue and the
> > default may be set at the package level.
>
> Actually, the default is taken from the locale environment that initdb
> sees. So it's a question of what the distro initializes LANG to (and
> whether you've changed that, either system-wide or for the postgres user).
>
> regards, tom lane

I'd like to call this one solved - at least mostly. I am not sure what
happened before, but when I tried installing the ltree module on template1
previously, it did not seem to make any difference when I created a new
DB. I could not create an ltree field. Fast forward to now, and (with a
fresh postgres server) installed ltree on template1 and then connected and
successfully created a test db (using the "-e unicode" option), along with
a table using the ltree datatype.

This actually resolves the core issue - being able to create new databases
and use the ltree data type.

Two related points remain a bit confusing, but I will read up more and
re-post if I cannot figure them out.

Thanks all!
Don
--
D.C. Parris, FMP, Linux+, ESL Certificate
Minister, Security/FM Coordinator, Free Software Advocate