Re: Stuck Up In My Own Category Tree

From: Don Parris <parrisdc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stuck Up In My Own Category Tree
Date: 2011-08-11 21:21:23
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:48, Edward W. Rouse <erouse(at)comsquared(dot)com>wrote:

> How about SELECT cat_name, sum(amount) AS "amount" FROM category,
> trans_details WHERE category_cat_id in (select cat_id from category where
> lineage ~ ‘^1’)****
>
> ** **
>
> Where the in clause is basically, the cat_id where lineage starts with, and
> then the lineage you want. 1, 1-2, whatever the lineage is. Not sure about
> efficiency or whether you can put another subselect in there to build the
> lineage string to match, but the basic idea should work. ****
>
> ** **
>
> *
> *

Thanks all, I will try out the suggestions. Samuel, thanks for the link!
Haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but it sure looks promising.
I'll post again when I've had a chance to look over/ try out some of these
things. :-)

Don
--
D.C. Parris, FMP, LEED AP O+M, ESL Certificate
Minister, Security/FM Coordinator, Free Software Advocate