Re: FDW for PostgreSQL

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Shigeru HANADA <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FDW for PostgreSQL
Date: 2012-10-04 01:44:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Shigeru HANADA
<shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to propose FDW for PostgreSQL as a contrib module again.
> Attached patch is updated version of the patch proposed in 9.2
> development cycle.

very nice.

> - binary transfer (only against servers with same PG major version?)

Unfortunately this is not enough -- at least not without some
additional work. The main problem is user defined types, especially
composites. Binary wire format sends internal member oids which the
receiving server will have to interpret.

merlin