Re: pg_upgrade

From: Catalin Iacob <iacobcatalin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jan Lentfer <Jan(dot)Lentfer(at)web(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade
Date: 2015-06-23 16:15:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 11:36 AM, Jan Lentfer <Jan(dot)Lentfer(at)web(dot)de> wrote:
> You do either 1 + 2 OR 3. pg_upgrade is binary upgrade, where as pg_dump +
> pg_restore is "logical" (dump data and schemal to SQL instructions).

I was thinking (and could not find definite answer) if it is supported
to reuse the binary files (essentially what pg_upgrade does) across
diferent Windows versions. According to, for example,
http://superuser.com/a/643087/22951 this isn't supported across
different operating systems.

Streaming replication also suggests the same OS on both sides.

So is pg_upgrade actually supported in Rainer's case where he is
switching the Windows version?