Re: Reset DB stats suggestion pg_stat_reset()

From: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
To: postggen2020 s <postggen2020(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reset DB stats suggestion pg_stat_reset()
Date: 2020-02-24 17:54:53
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

> We have seen some deadlocks and tempfile count in pg_stat_database view.
> We are trying to reset the stats.
> Can we use pg_stat_reset() function to reset these stats without any
> impact stats of databases.
> Please advise the process to reset the stats.

Yes, you could reset stats every month or week or whatever you decide makes
sense so you have an understanding of the timeline. Else, knowing that an
index has been used X times since who-knows-when is not a very useful piece
of information. I have occasionally reset the stats on all indexes on a
table when adding or removing an index from that table so that I have an
accurate idea of whether index_xyz or index_abc gets used. You can take a
snapshot of the stats on the table occasionally and compare prior count to
new count if you prefer. I find reset to be cleaner.