Re: disabling log_rotation_age feature.

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomonari Katsumata <katsumata(dot)tomonari(at)po(dot)ntts(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: disabling log_rotation_age feature.
Date: 2014-06-12 12:26:09
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Tomonari Katsumata
<katsumata(dot)tomonari(at)po(dot)ntts(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm reading about log_rotation_age.
> And I noticed that the setting for disabling the feature is not clear.
>

> The document tells us to set it to ZERO if we want to disable the feature.
> However, the feature would be disabled if we set it less than one minute.

That's because log_rotation_age expects the setting value in minutes.

This is not a problem only for log_rotation_age. When setting the parameter
which expects the value in seconds to less than one second, the setting value
is implicitly reset to the default. For example,

postgres=# SHOW tcp_keepalives_idle ;
tcp_keepalives_idle
---------------------
7200
(1 row)

postgres=# SET tcp_keepalives_idle TO '10ms';
SET
postgres=# SHOW tcp_keepalives_idle ;
tcp_keepalives_idle
---------------------
7200
(1 row)

postgres=# SET tcp_keepalives_idle TO '1024ms';
SET
postgres=# SHOW tcp_keepalives_idle ;
tcp_keepalives_idle
1